Monday, March 22, 2010

# 2, week 12

The week 12 post is a little over due...you'll understand why if you keep reading. Last week, I had the good fortune of being off for spring break. As far as spring break's go, it was probably right up there for one of the most boring & dull, but more me, it was much needed rest...at least starting Wednesday!

Sunday afternoon, I experienced severe abdominal cramping that lasted for an extended period of time. It worried me enough to call my OB-GYN's office. I reached the answering service and they took my information and had the on-call doctor call me back. Since I have had a miscarriage before we were blessed with Jacob, the on-call doctor told me to go to the emergency room and get "checked-out." After being there four and a half hours, blood-work and a urinalysis, it was determined that I had a very bad urinary tract infection. I was dismissed to leave.

The next day, I got my prescription filled and my doctor's office called to check on me (how nice of them!) I told them I had not experienced any more pain and they were going to request the records from the ER. A little bit later they called again...since the ER doctor didn't do an ultrasound, they wanted me to come in that day or the next to have one day. This made me worry...

Tuesday, I went to Brookwood for an ultrasound and to see another doctor since my doctor was on vacation for the week. Everything looked great on the ultrasound and she said she didn't see anything to be concerned about. Jacob got to "see" the baby and hear the heartbeat. He said, "I want to hear the "mohn, mohn, mohn" again. (I don't really know how to spell the way he described the heart beat.)

With that said, here's the week 12 update:

How your baby's growing:

The most dramatic development this week: reflexes. Your baby's fingers will soon begin to open and close, his toes will curl, his eye muscles will clench, and his mouth will make sucking movements. In fact, if you prod your abdomen, your baby will squirm in response, although you won't be able to feel it. His intestines, which have grown so fast that they protrude into the umbilical cord, will start to move into his abdominal cavity about now, and his kidneys will begin excreting urine into his bladder.

Meanwhile, nerve cells are multiplying rapidly, and in your baby's brain, synapses are forming furiously. His face looks unquestionably human: His eyes have moved from the sides to the front of his head, and his ears are right where they should be. From crown to rump, your baby-to-be is just over 2 inches long (about the size of a lime) and weighs half an ounce.

1 comment:

  1. Glad everything is okay and that you are feeling better!

    ReplyDelete