Saturday, May 29, 2010

# 2, week 20 - It's a ...

It's finally here!!!! Week 20 has been busy! We moved for a day and a half and then had our BIG ultrasound on Thursday the 13th. I haven't had ANY caffeine (unless you count what's in chocolate - and I haven't eaten much of that) since before we found out I was pregnant. I had stopped caffeine at the end of November 2009 in an attempt to get healthier and try to increase my weight loss. I drank a cup of fully loaded coffee on the way to my 8:00 appointment hoping that it would make the baby move enough that we would be able to find out the sex.

We start the ultrasound and all we can see is the spine. The little stinker was lying transverse across my stomach, right under my ribs. We listened to the heartbeat, which is always incredible to hear and tried to get the baby to move around. When we could see something, we found out the umbilical cord was between the baby's legs, making it even harder to determine the sex. Then, the ultrasound tech said, "I think it's a boy." After several more minutes of trying to get a clear image, she confirmed that we are in fact having a boy!

I am so excited!!! I kept everything of my son's...clothes, toys, blankets...you name it, I've got it! Now we get to use it all again. Plus, I know I can handle a boy and I'm not going to bankrupt our family (if it was a girl, I would have bought every cute, frilly, monogrammed thing you could think of...face it, girls have cuter clothes than boys!) I can't wait to meet our 2nd son...however, if you're reading this somewhere, don't be in a hurry to get here, I'd rather carry you full term unlike your older brother...and please don't mess up my blood pressure. I wasn't fond of bed rest!

When we were driving back from the doctor's office, my husband said, "I have my doubles team," and I said, "we don't have to pay for a wedding." It's funny how our first real thoughts about having two boys were so different! We have some ultrasound pictures, but I don't have electronic copy. You'll just have to wait 8 more weeks until the 4D ultrasound. Maybe he'll cooperate then!

Here's what babycenter.com says about HIS development:
How your baby's growing: Your baby weighs about 10 1/2 ounces now. He's also around 6 1/2 inches long from head to bottom and about 10 inches from head to heel — the length of a banana. (For the first 20 weeks, when a baby's legs are curled up against his torso and hard to measure, measurements are taken from the top of his head to his bottom — the "crown to rump" measurement. After 20 weeks, he's measured from head to toe.)He's swallowing more these days, which is good practice for his digestive system. He's also producing meconium, a black, sticky by-product of digestion. This gooey substance will accumulate in his bowels, and you'll see it in his first soiled diaper (some babies pass meconium in the womb or during delivery).

No comments:

Post a Comment